Dothan Paper Mill Accident Attorney
Every year, paper mills in Alabama and throughout the country employ thousands of people and produce millions of tons of pulp. While paper mills serve an important role in our society, they present many dangers for workers. If you work at a paper mill in Alabama and have been injured on the job, it is critical that you seek legal counsel immediately.
The skilled paper mill accident attorneys at Gartlan Injury Law understand the complexities involved with these types of injury claims. We will handle every aspect of your claim for workers’ compensation and pursue any additional sources of compensation on your behalf.
Paper mill accidents can inflict lasting injuries and put significant financial stress on workers and their families. The legal team at Gartlan Injury Law has extensive experience helping those who have been hurt in paper mill accidents in our community. We are ready to put our skills to work for you. Call us now to set up a free consultation with an experienced Dothan, Alabama paper mill accident lawyer.
- What Are the Common Causes of Paper Mill Accidents?
- What Injuries Can Occur from an Industrial Paper Mill Accident?
- Who Can Be Held Responsible for a Paper Mill Accident?
- What Compensation May Be Recovered After a Paper Mill Accident Injury?
- What Should You Do After a Paper Mill Accident?
- Talk to a Paper Mill Accident Lawyer Now
What Are the Common Causes of Paper Mill Accidents?
Many paper mill jobs in Alabama involve significant risk. Heavy machinery, toxic chemicals, electrical wires, and other factors create a dangerous environment for paper mill workers. Even with adequate training and proper safety practices, paper mill accidents still occur. Common causes of paper mill accidents include:
- Unsafe conditions
- Unsafe acts
- Falling objects
- Inadequate training
- Negligent supervision
- Slipping, tripping, and falling
- Fire hazards
- Toxic material exposure
- Defective equipment or machinery
- Broken or damaged machinery
- Poor equipment maintenance
- Power failure
What Injuries Can Occur from an Industrial Paper Mill Accident?
Hazardous conditions in paper mills can lead to a wide variety of injuries and health conditions, including:
- Burns from steam
- Cuts, bruises, and abrasions
- Crush injuries from large rolls of paper
- Health problems from dust inhalation
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Lifting injuries
- Repetitive stress injuries
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Hearing loss and deafness
Paper mill workers may also be exposed to hazardous chemicals that can pose a threat to their health. Common hazardous chemicals in paper mills include:
- Gaseous sulfur compounds
- Chlorine dioxide
- Sodium hydroxide mist
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Sulfuric acid
- Acetic acid
- Formic acid
- Gluconic acid
Who Can Be Held Responsible for a Paper Mill Accident?
In Alabama, paper mill employees are covered under workers’ compensation laws. If you have been injured in a paper mill accident, you can pursue workers’ comp benefits through your employer. In general, you must report the accident to your employer within five days. If you fail to give your employer notice within 90 days of your injury, you risk losing your right to workers’ compensation benefits. Once you’ve given notice of your injury, your employer must complete and file a form called a First Report of Injury with the Alabama Department of Labor.
Workers’ compensation is a challenging system to navigate on your own. At Gartlan Injury Law, our Dothan work injury lawyers are proud to represent paper mill workers. Allow us to help with all aspects of your workers’ compensation claim. We can take the pressure off you.
What Compensation May Be Recovered After a Paper Mill Accident Injury?
Benefits available under workers’ compensation include:
- Medical treatment. Paper mill workers who are injured on the job have the right to be compensated for all necessary and reasonable medical treatment, including costs of doctors’ appointments, medications, physical therapy, hospitalization, surgery, etc.
- Weekly compensation. Paper mill workers who are injured to the point where they are unable to return to work for a period of time are entitled to weekly compensation benefits for lost wages. These benefits are calculated at a rate of 66 ⅔ percent of the worker’s average weekly wage before the accident occurred.
- Burial expenses. If a paper mill accident results in death, burial expenses in an amount not exceeding $6,500 will be paid to the deceased worker’s family.
Workers’ compensation does not cover payment for non-economic losses like pain and suffering. However, if the party responsible for the accident was not the employer or a coworker, an injured worker may be able to pursue a personal injury claim. The responsible party in a paper mill accident case could be, for example, the manufacturer of defective equipment that caused an injury.
Our Dothan paper mill accident attorneys will fight aggressively for every bit of compensation you are owed. We will manage all the details of your case, so you can focus on your health and your family.
What Should You Do After a Paper Mill Accident?
Our Dothan, Alabama paper mill accident attorneys at Gartlan Injury Law recommend you take the following steps after an accident:
- Immediately report your accident to your supervisor and seek medical help. Failing to report your paper mill accident or failing to seek treatment could negatively impact your right to compensation.
- Take plenty of photos, or if you’re physically unable, have someone else take photos of the accident scene. It’s important to get photos from many angles and distances.
- If coworkers saw your paper mill accident, make sure you collect their contact information as they may be needed as witnesses.
- Don’t discuss your work accident with anyone. Never post anything about the accident on social media.
- Contact the experienced work injury lawyers at Gartlan Injury Law as soon as you can to protect yourself and your claim.
Talk to a Paper Mill Accident Lawyer Now
If you have been seriously injured or lost a loved one in a paper mill accident in Alabama, Gartlan Injury Law can help you pursue the compensation you need. We will thoroughly investigate your accident and build a strong case for full compensation. Call us now to schedule a free consultation.