One More Reason You Need an Alabama Accident Lawyer

by Aaron Gartlan

February 17, 2012 | Wrongful Death

As I review my messages today, I am reminded of a phone call that I received years ago from a good, hard-working, Alabama man that had received a letter from his ex-wife’s attorney which accused him of abandoning his minor child and requested that he waive his rights to the proceeds of his child’s wrongful death case in exchange for forgiveness of any past child support, medical and funeral expenses. Needless to say, the letter upset him because he loved and had not abandoned his child and at one point actually had custody.

Pursuant to Alabama Law, a parent is entitled to receive the proceeds of a wrongful death case of a minor child. Therefore, I assembled a team of lawyers to file a lawsuit to obtain this man’s fair share of the proceeds of his minor child’s wrongful death case.

His child was killed in a tragic automobile wreck. The ex-wife opened an estate, was appointed to be the personal representative and filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the automobile manufacturer to hold them responsible for exposing her child to unnecessary risk and causing her death. After a successful recovery, she prompted the letter be sent to this man.

Our lawsuit was litigated and contested and culminated at a successful mediation and recovery for our client. This man’s grief rendered him unable to attend the legal matters surrounding his child’s death. So, he was ultimately forced to file a lawsuit to assert his rights. In hind sight, things might have been easier if he would have consulted an Alabama Personal Injury and Accident Lawyer immediately. David and I welcome calls and visits of this nature at Gartlan Injury Law.


Aaron Gartlan is a graduate of Troy University and the Thomas Goode Jones School of Law who focuses his practice exclusively on representing those injured by the wrongdoing of others. He is member of the National Trial Lawyers Association’s Top 100 Trial Lawyers, Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. In addition to his legal practice, Aaron teaches Business Law as an adjunct instructor at Troy University’s Sorrell College of Business and serves as a field artillery sergeant in the Alabama National Guard.

  • American Association for Justice
  • BBB New
  • TTLA
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Avvo Rating
  • Avvo Client’s Choice 2018
  • Avvo Top Contributor 2017
  • The National Trial Lawyers